Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I Apply for Certification Prior to Arriving in Canada?
    Yes.  Through the CTIN website you may begin the process of having your credentials and abilities recognized so that shortly after your arrival in Canada you will be able to be certified.  For more information visit the Applying for Certification section of this website.
  • What is the difference between a technician and technologist in Canada?
    There are two different levels for technology certification in Canada -- technicians and technologists -- which apply to 14 different technical disciplines.  The differences are determined by the length of academic training, level of competence and responsibility.   For a comprehensive definition of technician and technologist classifications visit the Certification Levels page of this website.
  • If I am an Engineer in My Home Country Can I Work as an Engineer in Canada?
    Depending upon your education and professional experience you may or may not be considered an Engineer by Canadian standards. Many internationally trained engineers who come to Canada find that their education must be upgraded to qualify them to work as professional engineers. Often internationally trained engineers find that they are better suited to the technology professions and are excellent candidates for positions as technicians and technologists. To find out how your credentials and abilities will be assessed click here.
  • Can I Receive Settlement Assistance Prior to Arriving in Canada?
    Yes, If you have already received your approval to immigrate to Canada and you know when and where you will be arriving, you may contact the appropriate Settlement Agency at your arrival location to request assistance. Settlement Agencies can help you with improving language skills, searching for work, helping get documents translated, providing access to community services and much more. To find our more or to locate a Settlement Agency click here.
  • How do I Locate Employers in Canada Who Hire Science and Engineering Technology Professionals?
    One option is CTIN’s Skills Matching Service which connects internationally-trained technicians and technologists with employers who are actively seeking to hire newcomers to Canada. This is a no-charge service offered by CTIN that helps you make valuable employment contacts before and/or after you arrive in Canada. Click here for more information on preparing for employment in Canada.
  • Why Should I Have My International Credentials Assessed before applying for Employment in Canada?
    Having an International Qualification Assessment (IQA) completed is a good first step when preparing to apply for employment opportunities in Canada.  The IQA offers a cost-effective means to have your credentials assessed against Canadian criteria allowing you to demonstrate to prospective employers how your overseas academic training compares with Technician and Technologist level training in Canada. This can be an important differentiator for job seekers in legitimizing their academic training to potential employers.  An IQA distinguishes you from other applicants for a job who may not be able to verify their training.  It gives potential employers some assurance that you have the academic skills that are needed to perform on the job.   To find out more about having your credentials assessed visit The International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) page